Friday, February 8, 2013

Just for today

               “You say this prayer, and try to act better, and then you’re a Christian.” A simplified version/perversion of the gospel that I have heard way too many times; I remember sharing something like this to a cabin when I first started counseling at camp MYW. When we become Christians, often times our first priority is to try to modify our behavior. We try our very best not to lie or swear, and we feel despair and hopelessness when we mess up. As I am writing this I can remember a time when I would ask God into my heart at least once a week. My logic was something like: obviously it didn't work last time because I am still sinning. Trying to correct our actions is like lifting a weight into the air, you can do it for a while, but eventually your arms will give out, and you will be left exhausted.  The problem with self-modification is that it is impossible, as well as unnecessary. The blood of Christ was sufficient; your sins have been paid for. My distasteful illustration from camp was this: imagine a bucket full of a disgusting substance. The substance is sin, and the bucket is the world. No matter what we do in the bucket, we will never be clean; the only thing we can do is to set our sights on our creator, outside of the bucket.
               In many ways our Christian walk is similar to the life of a recovering addict. I believe it was Bill Bright, (founder of campus crusade for Christ) who created the illustration of our life’s throne. Visualize a room confined within your head, in the middle of this room there is a throne. The person who occupies this throne is the person who calls the shots in your life; he decides where you walk, what you do, what you say etc. Before we were saved, we occupied this chair 24/7. When we become Christians, often times we still occupy the throne, but there is one huge difference, Jesus is now inside our “throne room”. So Jesus walks in, and stands there, looking at us expectantly. Eventually he sits down on the floor and waits... One of the most beautiful aspects of Gods plan, as it has been revealed to us, is our free will. Christ is not going to throw you off the throne, though many of us may prefer him to.  It is in this way that I believe we have much in common with the struggle of an addict. We are addicted to being on the throne, and it is one of the hardest things in the world, for us to step down and give the throne/control to Christ.
              How can we beat our addiction? Well, taking a leaf out of Narcotics anonymous’ program, we do this one day at a time. In a sermon my father once said:  “every morning before my feet hit the ground I ask God to be on the throne of my life, however, by noon it often seems like there has been a coup, and I’m back on the throne”.  Often times I have tried to give Christ the throne of my life, only to again take control. I am addicted to being in control. People say it takes 30 days to make a habit, while this habit has had years to form. You would have to be a fool to tell a drug addict to stop doing drugs, and expect it to have any lasting effect.  The same goes with our addiction to the throne, though we may try, most of us (who aren’t blessed with something like extreme will-power) will fail. I have taken up confronting my throne addiction in the same way that addicts attending NA confront their addictions. One day at a time, or more specifically, “just for today” I know I can’t go a week, but I can go a day, and I can do that 7 times.
Give up control, be patient, and listen for the still small voice.
               In a somewhat unrelated thought, how would a new Christian know that they need to give up their life’s throne? God calls us not to convert, but to disciple, often times we forget to follow up. 

No comments: