Friday, September 10, 2010

fuel low...Passion

I've been thinking about Christian passion, not the passion of the entire church but the passion of individual followers within the church, what drives them? How do they keep on fighting? More importantly, why is it so common to see their passion fall, along with their lofty hopes and dreams for the world? I always go to an FEB sponsored youth event in the winter, and hundreds of kids fly up to leave their lives at the cross. There are tears and hugs and barriers are broken down, one week later the feeling is gone and fire has burnt out. They are back to their normal selves. I think of that event as musical chairs, everyone is up and dancing but when the music stops they don’t have a chair to sit down on. For passion to remain there must be a foundation, like a purpose, like a chair. (Luke 8:13)

One can get the urge to run- so sometimes they gratify that urge and just run, but not long after starting, the thought pops up, “why am I running? I'm tired" and they turn and walk back. But when you are pursuing someone who has just snatched a ladies purse, then the question “why am I running” is quickly answered. I think Christian passion is like that, at some point they make a mistake and in the low they ask “why am I trying" and they have no answer. I feel that the foundation we need to keep our passion alive, is a love for Jesus Christ.

For some reason… for some stupid reason, “Jesus loves me” is a kid’s song in church’s. Why do we forget that? The most important commandment is “love the Lord your God”. We seem to think that the most important commandment was “recruit more followers for our religion” but when we don’t love Jesus we don’t even have a religion! Well we do, we have a religion but that’s all it is- just a religion and not a way of life. I think, that when you are intimately in love with Jesus, then loving him is a way of life. And there’s no need for religion when you have that.

3 comments:

Marilyn Holt said...

ok my post disappeared. where'd it go? I won't bother typing everything out again until i find out if i'm doing this right.

Hi James
Love the blog.
Good to find a thinker.
I'd like to participate.
Marilyn Holt

Sheryl said...

Thank you for reminding all of us in such a clear and understanding way!

Marilyn said...

Passion: Don't forget the second as important as the first: love your neighbour. The love of Jesus flowing through us...needs an outlet. People around us NEED to be loved. That's why we're there.
As for the mountain top experiences--scripture is full of them. I'd guess they are a sign that we are 'not there yet'. Moses, Joshua, Elijah, David, Peter, John, Paul, Tim--they all had amazing up close experiences and then woke up to the reality of life in the here and now. If it was easy to retain the passion, we probably wouldn't need so much grace.